Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guardian honored to protect the community

China-People-Garden

GUANGZHOU - Xiao Linchun's cell phone isnever turned offand when it rings heknows there is an emergency he needs todeal with.
On the morning of Aug 9, the call was to alert himto a nearby garment factory that was on fire.
The 35-year-old security guard immediately calledhis colleagues and rushed to the scene.
He was busy helping people to evacuate to a safeplacewhile his team doused the flames beforefirefighters arrived.
"For security guards like usit's a happy time whenthere are no reports of casualties in such anemergency," he said.
Xiaowho heads a team of security guards thatcovers Haizhu district's Ruibao Street inGuangzhoucapital of Guangdong provincehasbeen in the job since he left high school in 1994.
In some people's eyessecurity guards simply playa supporting roleand the job is often regarded asone that requires lower academic credentials.
"When I decided to become a security guardmyparents and friends were so surprisedSome said itwasn't worth it and I deserved a better job," he said. "I think it's a decent jobIt provides me with chances to do something significant for residents.
"I may not be a policemanbut I'm very proud of my work," he said.
China's first modern security guards appeared in 1984 in Shenzhena pioneering city ofChina's reform and opening-upA year laterprofessional security companies were set upnationwide to help police with public order and safety.
Xiaowho leads 140 guardshas two main dutiesto provide security for banksrestaurants,shopping malls and companies in Ruibao Streetand to assist police and urban managementofficers in maintaining traffic order and tackling crime.
"Security guards are an important supplement," he saidadding that his squad usually patrolswith police officers and is often the first to be dispatched to the scene of accidents.
Chen Guihua, 22, who joined Xiao's security team three years agosaid he was driven by hisbosswork ethic.
"I'm still youngbut I think I'll stay with him for another few years," he said. "Besides teaching usskillshe's like a big brother."
After 17 yearsserviceXiao has assisted in cracking 1,252 public security cases, 354 criminalcases and 6,591 disputesHe was honored as one of China's best security guards on Sept 2this year in Beijing.
"I'd never dreamed of such an honor," he saidrecalling the moment he received the prize atthe Great Hall of the People. "It will push me to do a better job in the future."
The father-of-two said he has also received almost 100 letters of thanks from residents.
After leaving his hometown in Zhanjianga coastal city about 500 km from GuangzhouXiaohad originally planned on finding an office job at a company.
"But I gradually changed my view and I fell in love with my job as a security guard," he said.
His wifeLao Xiaohongalso gradually accepted his career choiceThe couple now live in arented apartment with their two sonswho attend primary school in Guangzhou.
"The job supports my family nowso I don't need to change itLife will pay you if you workhard," Xiao said.
China-People-Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment